Welcome to the website of The Asheville Area Piano Forum (AAPF)! Many of you are here for the first time, searching for piano-related topics in Asheville, and you’re wondering what the AAPF provides. Well, if there was ever a “one-stop shop” for piano-related information—you’ve found it!
In a nutshell, here is our mission:
- to enhance the appreciation of piano & keyboard music, pedagogy, and performance in Western North Carolina.
- to provide educational and charitable opportunities for WNC piano teachers, their students, their communities, and all lovers of piano music.
- to engage in non-profit fundraising activities to support the work of our 501©3 organization.
And here are some examples of how we support our mission:
- For everyone: On this website, you can quickly find ANY piano/keyboard resource you need in this area—whether it’s a piano store, teacher to performer…We believe that music is an essential part of life, and you need the tools to enjoy it! Searching for an organist for your wedding? A pianist/vocalist? You can find them here! Simply click on “Find a Professional” and type in your search criteria.
- For all music-lovers: We have a series of five (5) intriguing and informative presentations throughout the year! Go to our General Meetings page to learn more. Our Performance Groups are “piano parties” where pros, amateurs, students & listeners can get together and enjoy some social time in addition to practicing performances in a relaxed & encouraging setting.
- For teachers: In addition to the many other resources listed, Roundtable Discussions are hosted several times each year—a chance to interface with other professionals in your field and to obtain valuable information on topics of interest (teaching techniques, professional teacher organizations in the region, competitions and festivals, etc.).
- For students: We host three (3) Student Recitals every year; an annual Student Piano Competition; an annual incentive/donation program for the Humane Society called Practice for Pets; and Masterclasses with respected pedagogues once or twice per year.
- For our entire community: Professional members donate their performances in two spectacular Benefit Concerts each year, relying on community support and attendance to raise money for the Student Assistance Fund (the Fall Benefit Concert at Diana Wortham Theatre & the Spring Benefit Concert in a more intimate setting). In the last five years alone, the AAPF has awarded over $31,500 to WNC students facing challenges in paying for piano lessons. Ticket sales from these concerts are our primary source of earned income for this purpose (To see a video clip of these exciting performances, click here!).
- Last, but not least, we are moving into our 3rd year of a community-based outreach program called Keys for Kidz, which provides group piano classes for under-served children in our area.
More detailed information on all of these programs can be found throughout this new website, which is receiving updates on a continuous basis.
So, are you ready to be a part of the volunteer spirit of the AAPF?
Become a Member – Whether you’re a teacher, student, music-lover, supporter, professional performer or amateur—we have something for you, and you have something to share as well!
Interested in supporting the Arts in WNC?
Consider donating to AAPF by Donating Online or by mailing your tax deductible donation to:
Asheville Area Piano Forum
c/o AAPF Treasurer
6 Mayfair Place, Arden, NC 28704
The AAPF is a welcoming and diverse group of musicians and appreciators (105 members and growing!). We embrace anyone who supports the AAPF mission and shares an interest in piano music. Please join us in fulfilling our mission this year!
2012-2014 President of the AAPF